JNSC would like to see this pedestrian ‘kissing gate’ in place November 1 to May 1 and not opened to motorized vehicles.
July 23, 2020
As you have been previously informed, Montana Creek road is under threat and may be lost to motorized users during our ski season. We have a chance to have our 600+ membership’s voice be heard and we need yours now.
On August 4, 2020 the Parks and Recreation Committee (PRAC) is reviewing a proposal to have the road beyond the rifle range gate permanently closed to motorized users. The PRAC needs to hear from you on how important it is to have the area we groom be closed to snow machines and ATVs during our winter ski / grooming season. Below is listed relevant information that can be included in your letter and testimony. Note: it is best to use your own words.
– JNSC spends hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars grooming (156 days and over 835 hours last season) the road beyond the gate for non motorized users. A single motorized user can destroy the groomed trail by creating deep ruts which are not only hazardous but take many hours for volunteer groomers to remove.
– JNSC has provided volunteer grooming on Montana Cr. road for the past 15 years. This provides thousands of skier days to the public in the only reliably snow covered area at sea level.
– Motorized users are incompatible with skiers, snow shoers, and hikers on the narrow roadway with numerous blind curves.
– Youth skiers spend many days and evenings skiing and training on this ski trail from beginning skiers to older ski team racers.
– JNSC volunteers helped to coordinate and provide labor to repair the bridge across Montana Cr. in addition to annually keeping the road clear of brush, fallen trees, and landslides.
– Motorized users have thousands of acres of terrain available on Douglas I. and Spaulding Meadows for winter riding. The narrow 2 mile road section (about 2.4 acres) that JNSC grooms has been closed to winter motorized users and should be specifically designated non motorized during the winter ski / grooming season – November 1 – May 1.
If you want continued use of a groomed winter trail up Montana Cr. road please write a letter to the PRAC and submit it by Tuesday July 28 and if possible attend and testify at the Zoom meeting on August 4 at 5:30 p.m. Having an overwhelming presence will make a difference.
Send written comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, Lauren.Verrelli@juneau.org and a copy to the JNSC at email@example.com.
Attend the meeting on August 4, 5:30 p.m. by using the following.
Zoom meeting link: https://juneau.zoom.us/j/94808107925, or Call: +1 346-248-7799. Webinar ID: 948 0810 7925. Or directly from the CBJ PRAC website: https://beta.juneau.org/parks-recreation/prac.
Thanks for your help,